A Festival of New Music by Contemporary Los Angeles Composers
Hugh Levick, Artistic Director
This year’s call for scores has closed.
Festival dates: April 24-28, 2024
Thanks to all who sent in submissions this year, and we’ll notify composers of decisions in the fall. This is always a difficult process, and we appreciate your patience as we carefully consider all programming decisions and all of the pieces to that puzzle.
If you’d like to submit a proposal for our future projects, make sure you’re on our mailing list so we can alert you to future opportunities!
The complete 2024 submission guidelines follow, for your reference:
HEAR NOW strives to reflect cultural equity, equality, and inclusiveness in the diversity of its composers, performers, outreach to its audiences and students, and the makeup of its board and staff. It strives to achieve equity and inclusiveness by reaching out in an Open Call to all composers in the area.
Eligibility: Open to Los Angeles area-based composers. Experimental works are encouraged. If you are writing contemporary, classical concert music, you live and work primarily in Los Angeles, and you have not had a work performed at the festival in the last three years, you are eligible to submit a work in one of the following categories:
Orchestral — Performance April 28, 2023, 4pm at UCLA Schoenberg Hall
To be performed by the UCLA Philharmonia. The basic instrumentation of the UCLA Philharmonia is:
- WW (3333 including standard auxiliary instruments)
- Brass (4331)
- harp (1), keyboard (1)
- Timp + 3
- Strings (12-10-9-8-4)
Acoustic chamber music — Performance April 25, 2023 at 8pm
- For 1 to 8 players.
- All combinations of voice, strings, woodwinds and brass will be available. We will have a piano.
- No more than 15 minutes in length
Electroacoustic music — Performance April 24, 2023 at 8pm
- In addition to the electronic element, 1-6 players can be used. The core ensemble for this concert consists of flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano and percussion, though other instruments can be included as well.
- Electronics can be live or fixed media. In addition to other materials, a detailed description of technical requirements must be provided with the application.
- No more than 15 minutes in length
- The 2024 Hear Now Music Festival will be held April 24, 25, 26, 27, 28. Performing ensembles available include UCLA Philharmonia, Lyris Quartet (founding ensemble of Hear Now), Brightwork Ensemble (ensemble-in-residence), HEX Vocal Ensemble (ensemble-in-residence — up to 12 singers), plus other first-rate musicians in the Los Angeles area.
STEP ONE: FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS please also fill out and submit the form linked here: https://forms.gle/6ddJS4viuTiNWAXf8
This form will collect the following information:
- Title of your piece
- Your contact info, including email, phone, and home address
- Any other (brief) information about the piece you would like to share (Will it be a premiere of any kind? Are there stand-alone movements? Recommended local musicians for difficult or thorny parts, etc.?)
- (Optional) If you identify as a member of a historically underrepresented group (also including female, LGBTQ+), please indicate.
- Please agree to the statements at the bottom, including: I agree to request and receive permission from all musicians performing my work for the Hear Now Music Festival before posting the recording publicly in any form.*
STEP TWO: Please send the following NO LATER THAN AUGUST 1, 2023 to email@example.com:
Please use the subject line: HEAR NOW 2024 SUBMISSION
- ANONYMOUS Score in PDF format
- ANONYMOUS mp3 audio samples (MIDI acceptable). Please send files which do not show composer/performer/album info when opened in iTunes. MP3 files without watermarks help us maintain anonymity. Please do not send links to recordings on websites such as SoundCloud, YouTube or your personal website. Please DO include the title of your piece.
- For all submissions, make sure that these files are ANONYMOUS. Non-anonymous submissions cannot be considered.
Please send from your regular email so that the person who codes your submission can match it with your submission form. If your sound files are too large to be attached to an email, please send them via Hightail or Dropbox, or a comparable email service.
YOUR SUBMISSION WILL NOT BE COMPLETE UNTIL REQUIREMENTS OF BOTH STEPS HAVE BEEN FULFILLED. Both must be completed by the stated deadline.
Submissions may have been performed before, and multi-movement works are acceptable. If you have any questions, please contact artistic director Hugh Levick or general manager Heidi Lesemann at firstname.lastname@example.org
The review process is detailed on our website: http://www.hearnowmusicfestival.com/the-hear-now-music-festival-selection-process/
We are very much looking forward to hearing your music!
*The HEAR NOW Music Festival is audio and video recorded, and, if your work is selected for the festival, the recordings are made available to you. By submitting your musical materials, you are agreeing to get a media release from all musicians who perform your work in the festival before posting it publicly in any form (YouTube, your website, etc.). You may submit a recording or video from the Hear Now Music Festival performance as documentation for a grant proposal, or to provide a sample to other musicians or organizations for future performances, which is for private use only, without having such permissions. You also understand that Hear Now may use your Festival recording for artistic documentation for grant proposals and in short (30-60 second) excerpts for promotional purposes without requiring your permission.
PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL INTERESTED PERSONS.